Friday, November 16, 2007

Just thinking again.....


I'm up at 4 again this morning. I really love the early mornings before anything or anyone else is up. It's so quiet! It's the one time in my day when noise and people do not distract me. It's a time when I can read the bible and think a little. This morning, as I read in Proverbs 16, I came across a phrase I have seen many times before, but never stopped to investigate, so this morning I stopped and looked.
***************
The phrase is "an abomination to the Lord." I see it a number of times in Proverbs, but until this morning never took a serious look. So, I started with the dictionary. Here's the word I needed clarity on- abomination-bom·i·na·tion (ə-bŏm'ə-nā'shən) n., Abhorrence; disgust. A cause of abhorrence or disgust. American Heritage Dictionary
*********
Ok, that's a good start. Now I have the meaning I needed to clarify the verses, and here they are...there are 11 of them in Proverbs-
*********
Pro 3:32 For the devious are an abomination to the LORD; But He is intimate with the upright.

Pro 6:16 There are six things which the LORD hates, Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: (the list follows this phrase in chapter 6....make sure you know what the 7 things are.)

Pro 11:1 A false balance is an abomination to the LORD, But a just weight is His delight.

Pro 11:20 The perverse in heart are an abomination to the LORD, But the blameless in their walk are His delight.

Pro 12:22 Lying lips are an abomination to the LORD, But those who deal faithfully are His delight.

Pro 15:8 The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD, But the prayer of the upright is His delight.

Pro 15:9 The way of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD, But He loves one who pursues righteousness.

Pro 15:26 Evil plans are an abomination to the LORD, But pleasant words are pure.

Pro 16:5 Everyone who is proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD; Assuredly, he will not be unpunished.

Pro 17:15 He who justifies the wicked and he who condemns the righteous, Both of them alike are an abomination to the LORD.

Pro 20:23 Differing weights are an abomination to the LORD, And a false scale is not good.
**********
There's the list. Now, what to do with it? I've read it over several times, and I see some basic things. 1. God hates those who hurt others. That's repeated in several ways in these verses, 2. God hates "fakers"....the proud, the liar, the deceiver..., 3. God hates pride, and 4. God hates the rebellious heart.
**************
I think I will spend some more time going over these verses, but it helps to put them all together like this, and see what really "bothers" God. So, the thought of the day is this- Try to avoid these things, God doesn't like them and they will get you in trouble.

No comments: