Friday, June 15, 2007

Faith or doubt? Depends on where you look

Mat 14:25 And in the fourth watch of the night He came to them, walking on the sea.
Mat 14:26 When the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, "It is a ghost!" And they cried out in fear.
Mat 14:27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, "Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid."
Mat 14:28 Peter said to Him, "Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water."
Mat 14:29 And He said, "Come!" And Peter got out of the boat, and walked on the water and came toward Jesus.
Mat 14:30 But seeing the wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, "Lord, save me!"
Mat 14:31 Immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and took hold of him, and *said to him, "You of little faith, why did you doubt?"


I love this story! The story of Peter walking on water is a great story of faith and doubt...and the results of those choices.

It's a story that shows the results of Peter's faith, and it's a story graphically demonstrating the results of his doubt. The first thing that catches my imagination is Peter's bold request, "if it is You, command me to come to You on the water." Then, amazingly, in response to Jesus' invitation, he gets out of the boat and walks on water! He's the only man other than Jesus to ever do that!

Then, somewhere in his stroll on the waves he gets distracted. The text says, "But seeing the wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out" He got distracted, he took his eyes off of Jesus.

The wording is captivating to me...."seeing the wind." You can't "see" the wind, what was he worried about? Why was he worried about the wind? The wind wasn't his problem, it was the water! He was already doing the impossible, why would he be afraid of wind?

Then the text continues, "and beginning to sink, he cried out, "Lord, save me!" My question is simple- why did he begin to sink? Was it the distraction or the fear? I think it was both...he took his eyes off of Jesus, and with that change of focus he became frightened. He could no longer see Jesus' smile. He could no longer see that Jesus was still walking on the water. He forgot that Jesus told him to come. He lost focus and faith! He took his eyes off of Jesus and fear was the natural result....for you see, he was in a situation that demands God's help or you will get wet!

His cry is like many of our prayers, "Lord, save me!" I understand that prayer. It's often my prayer. It's often all I can get out of my mouth before I sink below the waves. It's funny that he would ask for help from someone who is walking on water...the very thing that is causing his fear and failure. Why didn't he call to the guys in the boat for help? Since he didn't believe he could walk on water, and his fear was proving that true, why would he call out to someone who is doing the very thing he is afraid of for help?

Peter quickly calls out to the only one who can help him. Now, I must be honest....if I were Jesus I would let Peter get wet! Serves him right for doubting, and why call out to me now that you don't believe I can help you do the impossible while I am doing that very thing as you cry out for help.

But not Jesus....he never deals with us in that way. He loves us, and his response to Peter is the same way he responds to us...."Immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and took hold of him, and said to him, "You of little faith, why did you doubt?" Did you notice that first word? Immediately! Jesus had to be close enough to reach Peter because he simply reached out his hand and took hold of him. Jesus was only a few feet away! And he acted immediately...he answered Peter's request, and saved him. Then he asks the most amazing question, "Why did you doubt?" I can answer that question- BECAUSE THEY WERE WALKING ON WATER, YOU CAN'T DO THAT! When Peter realized that he did the thing we humans do best....he doubted God, and began to sink.

So, what do we do with this story? Here are a few observations and applications-

1. The Christian life is impossible. You can't do it without God's help.
2. It's easy to get distracted...to get your eyes off of Jesus.
3. When I get my eyes off Jesus I usually get in trouble.
4. When problems distract me my faith may falter.
5. When my faith falters the best thing I can do is pray.
6. Jesus is always closer to me than I think he is.
7. Jesus loves me, and cares about me, my life and problems.
8. Jesus is willing and able to help me when I fail.

Do you realize that the Christian life, like this story, is a miracle of God that must be lived by faith? When you find that you are beginning to "sink" realize you have taken your eyes and faith off of Jesus. When you cry out realize that Jesus is close, and willing to answer your prayer.

Faith or doubt? It all depends on where you look....who you trust as you do this impossible thing called the Christian life.

5 comments:

Rick said...

Good stuff - got a post with a little different spin coming later today, just thoughts sparked by yours but not fully typed yet. :)

MirzSpace said...

Hi! You left a comment on our blog with a question, but I wasn't sure how to answer it. :)
So finally, now that things are calming down, I tracked you down. We work in Port-au-Prince mostly. We live in Delmas 75. Where are you? email us at rich.mears@crossworld.org

Kathy said...

Great post! Heard a wonderful sermon by Chuck this week. All about Thomas. The doubting one. The one that required proof and substance to wrap his brain around for his faith to stabilize. Helped me remember once again when I struggle with my faith that He is in the business is reassurance to grow my faith too, even when I doubt.

Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief.

Pony and Petey said...

Thanks, again, for blogging. I appreciate it more than I can express to you! Still being able to hear your words of wisdom just means so much to me.

And still enjoying the life-changing impact that your words produce...well, that's amazing. It's great to be able to say that you ARE my pastor, even though we've moved away...not that you WERE my pastor.

I thank God for you! I thank you for being obedient to His call and guiding and for being my teacher.

Mike Messerli said...

Vicky,

thank you so much for your words. You are such an encouragement and blessing to me. Thank you.