Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Adventures in the lettuce patch, part 1


As I study the bible I'm often fascinated by phrases and words....I watch for them. I know that the adventure I'm about to take you on would not work in the original language as well as it does in English, but bear with me a little.
34 times in the New Testament, Romans to Revelation, the phrase "let us...." appears. This phrase has fascinated me. It gives the reader direction, choice, admonition, an invitation and a gentle command...."let us" hints at a choice on the readers part that invites us to participate in the directions given by the author. On occasion I will introduce another "let us" verse. I hope you will enjoy these little "adventures in the let us patch."
Here's the first one-
Rom 13:12 The night is almost gone, and the day is near. Therefore let us lay aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light.
One thing I've found in the "let us patch" is that each of the invitations is based on a truth. From that truth we are invited to make a choice or series of choices. This is the first one in the series. Paul writes to us and gives us some clarity about where we are in the eternal timeline, and invites our response in two specific areas- 1. what we lay aside, and 2. what we put on. Both decisions based on where we are in time! This is the language of changing clothes. "Lay aside" the deeds of darkness, and "put on" the armor of light. It's the great exchange! Because we have been transferred to a new kingdom- the kingdom of light- we are invited to dress for the part.
Imagine the homeless man who suddenly is given a million dollars and a mansion, but doesn't want to change out of his rags. He would look completely out of place in the mansion....in his rags. Especially when the closets are full of new clothes! What an odd picture!
There are other observations from this short verse, but let me allow you to make them. What else do you see in our "let us patch" from this verse?
I look forward to your observations....

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Rom 13:12 The night is almost gone, and the day is near. Therefore let us lay aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light.

My southern version reads:

The night is almost gone, and the day is near. Therefore all together ya'll lay aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light.

What I love about the "let us" phrases and its truth is that the environment is in community. Not "you should" but "come on, we're in this together".

Makes it easier knowing others are there with me, helping me along the path of truth to do what I need to do.

Anonymous said...

As a believer (and the following comment I believe is applicable to all believers), everyday is one day closer to Heaven (perfection) either through physical death or Christ’s return; both dates are unknown to me.

Decision 1:
Therefore “let us” [individually and collectively] stop dressing in the “rags” of sin [initial list (not all inclusive) starting in verse 13].

Decision 2:
“Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ,” and “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

I’ve got to make the above decisions daily; sometimes I make the wrong decisions, but I’m assured in knowing that perfection doesn’t come until one of the two days above occurs. Philippians 3: 13-14: “13 Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”

cookiehawk77 said...

"Let us" and "dressing" -- sounds like a salad -- very healthy!

It is reassuring when we feel that we are stuck in the darkness of night that it is just temporary and it is not our permanent home. And, as Kathy said, it's good to know we're not alone here. We may feel like earthworms, but God has transformed us into butterflies...so we need to
get out of the dirt & fly!