Friday, April 06, 2007

Serving Christ

Serving Christ is not a glamour job. It's humbling. It's ego crushing. It's a surrender of what I want to be a blessing to others. It is hard! All that is in us does not want to put others first....it just isn't fair! And that is exactly right. Serving Christ, when done right, makes the one serving simply disappear....and so we often get walked on, ignored, taken for granted, abused, used, and...well....treated like a servant! It's dirty, hard, humbling work to serve...you must have the Lord's help or you will get angry, bitter, resentful...selfish.

After Jesus washed the disciples feet here are his instructions to them-


John 13:14 So if I, the Master and Teacher, washed your feet, you must now wash each other's feet.
John 13:15 I've laid down a pattern for you. What I've done, you do.
John 13:16 I'm only pointing out the obvious. A servant is not ranked above his master; an employee doesn't give orders to the employer.
John 13:17 If you understand what I'm telling you, act like it--and live a blessed life.

So, before you get all excited about serving Christ, count the cost. Realize that it's not glamorous. It's "heart-humbling" and it will demand dependence on Christ to do it. I know a few servants walking with God....they are blessed....but the price is high...the price is ME.

No comments: