Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Spiritual dementia

This morning I am reading Psalms 106.  It's a challenging chapter because it describes God's work for Israel and their response.  

One thing I notice repeating itself over and over in this chapter is this theme-  "they did not remember," "they forgot," "they forgot God."

In spite of all he had done for them they had developed spiritual dementia!  They saw the miracles in Egypt, the Red Sea parted, the cloud and the fire, the manna and the water from the rock....


....and still they forgot!

How is that possible?  How could they (and we) forget all God has done as if he never acted?  

To be honest, it's far too easy.  Scripture tries to describe it.  In it are elements of a hard heart, a loss of focus, lack of faith or trust in God and the febbleness of our flesh.  We are a mess!

How can we forget all God has done?  I don't know, but we do. I do! And so he gives me scripture to remind me of how easily I forget his great love, care and provision.  

In reading of the failures of Israel God is saying (as he does in 1 Corinthians 10) don't do what they did!  Don't forget to remember.

You need to know you have spiritual dementia.  You will forget what he did today and live in fear this afternoon or tomorrow.  You will have to constantly remind yourself of the great love of God.  This constant reminder of his great love is the only remedy for fear, panic and the spiritual dementia that plagues us all.  

God says, "I will never leave you or forsake you."  Don't forget to remember that.

No comments: