Friday, December 09, 2016

It's the season....

        

It's the season to be grumpy.  At least it seems that way.  Last night I had to stop by Target for a few things and as I waited in line I saw and heard the lady two people in front of me checking out, complaining and fussing at the poor little cashier (a young high school student).  I asked her, "can I help you with your bags?  do you need help?"  She replied, "no," she was just being grumpy...(or something to that nature).  I replied, to my surprise, "don't do that, I'll help you, don't be mean to this poor kid. He's trying."  I know I shouldn't have done that, but she was just being cruel and it was so unnecessary.  

We forget so easily that the only eternal things we ever encounter in our lives are the other people we meet.  All the rest will rust, rot or burn up....people are the valuable things.  And there was a woman wounding another eternal being for the sake of a few trinkets!  It all made me a bit angry.

And so, this morning, I went back to a passage my wife and I chose as our life verses when we married.  They may help you as you deal with the frustrations of the Christmas holiday.  Here are Paul's directions for us as we live in full contact with others,

"Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others.  Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony. And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful. Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts.  And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father."

Make it a time of joy for others simply because of the way you treat them.  It will surprise them and give them a gift you can't purchase anywhere.

1 comment:

Judy Jo said...

Yes, I agree with what you did. You were gently reminding her to be kind while defending the poor kid who was caught in the middle. You were living your passage! What courage!