Saturday, October 31, 2015

Divine encounters

I had a 10:00am coffee this morning with an old friend in town for a few days.  He called a bit ago and said he would be late.  

It struck me that I had enough time to run to the store for a few things before I met him. I got the items I needed, got in line for the cashier to check me out when she discovered she didn't have enough cash for my refund.

She paged the manager for some help and we wait.  In a few minutes Jodi showed up to take care of it.  

(Just so you know I always look at faces and I saw hers.  She was not doing well!)  

I asked, "Are you ok?"  Jodi replied, "No, my dad's in the hospital."

She finished her paperwork with the cashier and I waited.  

Then we talked. Her dad had an accident and had a bad back injury.  They found out yesterday he would be paralyzed.  And then her tears came.  

I listened. 

I asked, "Can I pray for you?" She nodded.  

And before we parted I asked, "Can I give you a hug?"  She nodded. 

And we parted.

Do you realize that each day there are divine encounters all around you?  Do you know God has a work for you to do at the grocery store, at the coffee shop, in every place where people gather?  Do you see the opportunities?  Do you see those around you hurting, struggling, facing life head on?  

Divine encounters are all around.  Don't miss them.  God is in the midst of your life for a reason....to care for, love and touch the lives of others....to be part of his work....to be Jesus in your place, in your day.

"For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:10



No comments: