Friday, June 06, 2014

The heart of worry

A friend of mine is a chronic worrier.  I understand her....I battle that terrible habit as well.  To be honest, I think we all struggle with worry in some way.  It  comes from the awareness that we are NOT in control and we wonder, at times, if anyone is.  The focus of worry is always future....what will happen if?  What will I do about?  How will we ever?  The questions for worriers are endless, but at the heart of them all is a focus in the future and a concern over what might happen.  Worry is a wonderful habit if you want to be depressed.  It accelerates the decline to despair quite well.

But what is at the heart of all this worry?  Why do we struggle so much with worry?  At the heart of worry are two small, but important beliefs, 1. We worry because we really don't believe anyone is at the helm of our lives, in control of this world, that there isn't anyone running this thing and we will crash on the rocks at any moment!  And, 2. We worry because if there is someone in charge we aren't sure they have our best interests in mind.  If there is anyone driving do they care what happens to me?

Is you're an atheist you have no answer for either question, or simply put they would respond, "There's no one in charge and no one cares."  But if you're a theist, if you believe in God the whole discussion changes and worry, at the very heart, is questioning God's power over my life and his goodness to me.  I hate to be so blunt, but that is the heart of it.  I worry because I really don't believe God can handle things and if he can he isn't watching out for me.

So, let's resolve those two things.  Sadly though I have to say that if you worry this won't fix it unless you really believe these two basic truths about the power and nature of God.  Is he all powerful and does he love me?  When you worry you are really asking one of those questions.....maybe both!

There are two phrases in Ephesians 1 that deal with these questions.  Here they are, Eph. 1:11- "according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will."  In this amazing chapter God says he is in charge of everything and all of the events of life, especially my life, are under his oversight and care.  He is Lord of everything!  Even my broken car, my sick kid, my failed career....He is in charge of it all.

The second phrase from this chapter that answers these questions is this, Eph. 1:5-6- "according to the kind intention of His will,  to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in Christ."  What God does in our lives is all driven by grace and his "kind intention".  I love that phrase.  He's not out to ruin your life, he loves you!  So when things "go wrong" they couldn't be more right because he is in charge and he loves you.

Why worry?  A good God loves me and is fully in charge of everything in my life, my painful foot, the broken dryer (at least we have one), a car that is having problems (we have two of those!), money problems (we don't have enough of that).....but in the middle of it all....when the opportunity comes to worry the proper response for someone who believes in God is to trust him and praise him for his grace, provision and care....even when you see none of it in right now!  

Jesus talked about this in great depth in Matthew 6.  If you want to hear it from the mouth of God himself read his thoughts on worry in Matthew 6:25-34.  It will challenge and convict you.  Either God is in charge and loves you or his isn't, make your choice....but never think worry is any less than you and I questioning the core issues of the love and power of God in our lives.  


-Thoughts from an expert in worry





No comments: