Thursday, July 21, 2011

He never lets go


Do you remember the thrill of being spun around by your dad? Do you remember how exciting it was? Never a worry about him letting go. He's your dad, he would never do that. The thought never crossed our minds. We simply enjoyed the thrill and excitement of the ride.

How have we lost that thrill of life with God? How have we imagined that he would ever let go of us? Where did we get the idea that we can't trust him? When did the thrill of living a life with God disappear for you? I think, for most I talk to the thrill of a life lived with God is a distant memory if they ever knew that excitement at all. How do we lose that excitement of living in relationship with the God who made us?

For me the thrill and excitement of walking with God, of knowing he has me in his hands, is often a distant memory. I've lost it in the mundane, in the necessary things of life. But with the loss of that excitement another emotion rises for many...we wonder if God will let go of us. Can we trust him to "hold on?" Am I safe?

If fear of a fall is part of life then you can't enjoy the ride.....you simply don't trust the hands that hold you. When fear and lack of trust replaces the excitement of a relationship with God then you've lost all joy of knowing God and living life with him. We must recapture trust and then can enjoy the thrill of the adventure once more.

Here's what Jesus said, knowing how destructive our fears can be, "I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them away from me, for my Father has given them to me, and he is more powerful than anyone else. No one can snatch them from the Father’s hand. The Father and I are one.” Jesus knows we forget the fun of the relationship and easily fear the one who holds our hands. He wants us to know, "I will never let go! Enjoy the ride. I've got you! I love you too much to let go of you. Relax!"

Once we recapture that trust then fun begins again, we relax knowing that God loves us, promises to hold onto us and wants us to enjoy this life and walk with him. If, like me, you easily lose the thrill and excitement of a life lived with God and entertain fears of the fall then go to the Father, recapture that trust, revisit his love for you and realize that whatever you go through he will never let you go. Enjoy the ride!

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Thank you, Mike, for such a wonderful post today.

Colleen said...

Loved this and will pass it along!