Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Relationships, part 2


Yesterday I wrote about relationships. I wrote, "ALL of life is about relationship."

Today, may I take that idea a little further. As I thought about it through the day yesterday it struck me that all of eternity is about relationship! We were designed by God for relationship, first with him and then with others. Etern
ally we will be in relationship with him and with those who follow him. It seems that much of life here is about learning how to simply get along with other people.

There is another aspect to this as well. The only eternal things on this entire planet are the people who live here. All the material things we work so hard for will rot, decay or fall apart, but the people are eternal! Somehow we have valued the temporary and devalued the eternal. As I watch those around me (I include myself here, so don't assume an arrogance on my part) I notice we put high value on the stuff and a low value on the people around us. We will hoard the temporary and throw away the eternal. How confused we are!

It appears we need a values adjustment. God values people and will finally burn up all the stuff. We value the stuff and will burn
relationships and people to get the stuff. I wonder how we got so confused. Here's the one thing I want you to take away from this- the only eternal things on this planet are the people. If we ever got that it would dramatically change how we interact with each other, wouldn't it?

My thoughts go to Paul's words in 1 Corinthians 13, where he describes love. Here is a portion of this passage,

1 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hards
hip that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails.

Do you realize that love only works when it's focus is another person? Imagine me inserting into these verses, love is patient with my stuff, love is kind to my car, it just doesn't work. It doesn't make any sense. God did place eternal things on this planet and they are not the things that will break, rust or fall apart. The only eternal things around you are the people. If we suddenly changed our value system to love the eternal things and use the temporary ones how would our days chang
e? How would our thoughts adjust? How would our words be different?

There isn't going to be a day when I won't be in relationship with someone...for all eternity I will be in relationship with God and with the eternal ones he has made. It's vital for me that I prize those eternal ones and love the things that God loves because the only eternal things on this planet are the people you deal with each day.

4 comments:

Yolanda Rose Naylor said...

Wow...this is excellent and really hit home with me. Sometimes, well, actually most of the time lately, I just get really weary of people and their lack of consideration for me...you know that attitude, "I'm tired of being the nice one all the time." And my acknowledgment that God is Sovereign is good, but not really if I'm stiff arming myself through the whole process. Yes, people are eternal. Not only those whom I love and cherish, but also those who have made my life miserable.

Thank you for this.

Michell said...

I love this Mike. I think those that try hard to love others do get weary, as Yolanda referred to, and we do sometimes try with our own power instead of asking the Lord to supply this... such as, "Lord, you know my heart. I don't really love this person, but I know you do and want me to, so Please give me the power to do so. Please provide wisdom and help me keep my ears and eyes open to how I may build others up," etc... I also think it is normal to arm yourself up as Yolanda said. It is a great idea as a matter of fact, to put on the armour of Christ that the bible refers to: shield of faith, belt of truth, helmet of salvation, feet with the Gospel of PEACE, sword of the spirit, breastplate of righteousness, etc. (it is in Ephesians chapter 6) and to focus on what those mean each day. That helps me to not grow as weary. To know I am more than a conqueror in Christ (with his power), to know every knee will bow eventually to Christ the battle is already won. Saten is already defeated. There is great spiritual power in focusing on these type of scriptures and knowing by faith in God's word to stand strong each morning with his power as he prepares the path for us to serve him by loving others in unique ways.

Many people can make life miserable, Christian or not... My prayer is for daily food from the word to help all of us with the goal of serving Christ to help others become closer to him, whether they know it or not. Sometimes we just plant a seed, God waters and another may plant a seed and you don't even realize it. The person may still offend, or be difficult to love, but your efforts through Christ and his many helps to support this effort in the Bible, (the grass will wither but His Word will last forever), are known by him. Your treasure for doing so is in heaven. It cannot be burned up during a test or refinement by God. So He sees every effort, every cry for help, persecution, it is not easy all the time, and no one ever said it would be, but He sees your heart, efforts, and rewards those who seek him for the power to do his will....Love.

Robin Sampson said...

Enjoying your blog. Especially liked "Seeing things as God sees them " about Joseph. very encouraging. Thank you.

We blog about the same things.

Mike Messerli said...

Robin, thank you for your comments.