Saturday, March 19, 2011

Trust in the midst of trials

As I read these words this morning it struck me that these are perfect words for the days we live in. As we watch the world around us deal with natural disaster and the disaster of war it can often cause us to fear, but read these amazing words-

Psalm 46:1 God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
3 though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.

....7 The LORD Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.

....10 He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth.”

The words of this psalm are especially timely as David writes, "Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging."

His reason? "The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress." We are not alone, we have not been abandoned on this shaky little planet full of problems, it's not all up to us to solve these problems. God is with us. We are not alone. There is someone we can trust. There is a God who is in charge. Here's what he's up to-

“Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth.”

God is working that all men will know him, all men will seek him, everyone will acknowledge the God who made us. There is a plan, dear friends, this is not a planet out of control. There is a good and sovereign God working and ruling. Relax. Trust him and pray for those who don't know him yet. God is working.

4 comments:

yun said...

Dear Pastor Mike,

Just feel like sharing it with you and simply asking you to pray for my tomorrow.I wish it will be a very significant yet happy day for me tomorrow. :) I appreciate it with thanks.

Mike Messerli said...

Yun, I will pray. thanks for asking.

yun said...

Thanks for the prayer. Anyway just want to share the joy with you that it turned out well. God exceeds my expectation and prayer. He shows me that he hears at all time. I am very blessed! :)

Mike Messerli said...

Yun,

That is wonderful news. I have been praying for you. I'm so glad to hear that God has blessed. Thank you for telling me so I can praise the Lord with you.