Friday, February 12, 2010

Broom to bloom



My friend, Colleen, wrote this after a day of record snow fall. It's so good I asked her if I could share it with you and she graciously agreed. Here is her post called "Broom to bloom"-
...

"I have just come inside from being outside in my yard armed with a big broom. I have been gently beating some of my trees in hopes of getting the excessive amounts of snow off of them. Some of these trees are touching the ground, they are so weighed down. I could not believe how heavy they were because I was outside twice yesterday with my broom doing the same thing. It is amazing how they spring back, albeit with a perceptible groan, as the heavy snow is removed from the branches.

It is funny that when I am out there, I am emotional as I begin tapping and whacking them with my broom. I cannot bear the thought of them snapping under the weight. If I can help and relieve them of the weight I know it will help and perhaps save that tree or at least that branch. Already, some large limbs have snapped and lie on the ground, casualties of their snow burden. I know there is more going on inside of me as I do what I can to help these trees. The Lord is impressing upon my heart that these trees that are bent over with the heavy snow are like some of His children weighed down and bent over with burdens or overwhelming cares. Matthew 11:28 says that we are to come to Him if we are weary and burdened and He will give us rest. But how does He gives us rest? Perhaps He sends the wind of His Spirit and blows into our lives so that the burdens are blown off. But what was impressed upon my heart is that He often shows others the burdens and weights being carried. He wants us to be His ministers of comfort and love to do what we can to help lighten those burdens. As I am writing this, I have a side ache from swinging around that broom. I also got soaked, covered when the snow dropped out of the tree. Sharing burdens means that we sometimes have to be willing to get a little wet and fatigued in our efforts to help.

My scripture reading this morning was in 2 Corinthians 1:3,4 "He is the source of every mercy and the God who comforts us. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others." A couple paragraphs later, Paul writes something that astonishes me..."I think you ought to know, dear friends, about the trouble we went through in the province of Asia. We were crushed and completely overwhelmed, and we thought we would never live through it. in fact, we expected to die. But as a result, we learned not to rely on ourselves, but on God who can raise the dead. And He did deliver us from mortal danger. And we are confident that He will continue to deliver us. He will rescue us because you are helping by praying for us. As a result, many will give thanks to God because many people's prayers for our safety have been answered." (2 Cor. 1:8-11)

Never under-estimate the power your prayers are having in the lives of His children. He will show you where "help" is needed. We need to be watching and then willing to get involved through committed prayer and perhaps some other demonstration of encouragement, comfort and love.. And then as Paul stated, there can be much rejoicing and giving of thanks to God as we see Him move, lifting and removing heavy burdens in order for restoration to begin!"

...

1 comment:

Mike Messerli said...

Great post, Colleen. Thank you.