Friday, August 01, 2008

Dealing with sin

I have been asked many times about my view of sin in a Christian’s life and our proper response to it. In fact the discussion usually begins with a question about 1 John 1:9 (which, by the way, is in the middle of John’s thoughts on the finished work of Christ that ends in 1 John 2:2). Here, briefly, is my view of how a Christian should deal with sin in their life:

1. When Christ died on the cross how many of your sins did he die for? (A: all of them, Romans 5-8, Hebrews 10:10,12,14)

2. When Christ died on the cross how many of your sins were still future? (A: all of them)

3. And if that is true then when we trust Christ as savior how many of our sins are dealt with and forgiven? (A: all of them, Romans 8:1)

4. So, when you read 1 John 1:9, which says, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness,” and you see that it says that he will cleanse us from all unrighteousness how many of our sins does “all unrighteousness” include? (A: all of them)

AND, when he has cleansed us from ALL unrighteousness how much is left for us to be forgiven of in the future? (A: none of them),

So my proper response when I sin is this, “Lord, here is another reason why I needed a savior. Thank you for saving me and cleansing me from ALL my sins, including this one. I am sorry. I agree with you that this is sin. Thank you that you already forgave me for this sin. I repent, and ask you to help me not do this again. Fill me with your spirit, and help me to grow into the image of Christ.” (much thanks to Major Ian Thomas for help with the wording of this prayer)

We are not trying to get something we already have, but rather we are celebrating something that Christ has already done for us- his finished work and our forgiven sins. Many will say that we must continue to confess our sins and ask forgiveness for sin. This teaching lingers from the Catholic church tradition and is still the majority view in the Evangelical church (our “spiritual bar of soap” as Campus Crusade describes it), but I believe the Bible teaches a finished work by Christ both on the cross and in my life (that does not mean I’m perfect by the way.) I don’t need more forgiveness, I have that, what I need is repentance and the Holy Spirit to live his life through me! I need to thank him for his forgiveness already given and agree with him about my sin (that is what confession means) and turn from it, inviting him to live his life in and through me. That is the right response to sin. May we be people who begin to grow in grace and celebrate a finished work of Christ both on the cross and in our lives as we deal with sin.

As far as growth goes (maturity in faith) I’m on an odyssey that will continue until Christ returns or until I die, but one thing I’m not doing is constantly revisiting the cross for something I already have! I celebrate a finished work regarding sin (salvation) and invite him to be part of my life to finish his work in me (sanctification.) Let us move on to maturity and celebrate the cross but walk in grace. Christ has finished the work for us, a work that is complete even though we are still a work in process. Heb. 6:1

When you have a clear view of sin and its solution it is a freeing thing. Suddenly I’m no longer trying to get something I already have, instead I’m growing…growing in grace and a finished work…growing into the likeness of Christ!

(Romans 5-8, Hebrews 7:27, Hebrews 9, 10:10,12,14,19-25)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Mike. I agree whole heartedly yet when I try to explain this current lack of need for forgiveness (in one already secure in Christ) it seems like I get a lot of dumbfounded stares. As I try to explain that confession equals agreement some still respond, 'yes, but when I sin I need to confess and ask forgiveness ...' I know there are a lot of big two letter words, the biggest being 'if', now I realize that 'but' is a giant three letter word. Thank God for the greatest four letter word ... LOVE. He did it all, for all, once! No 'ifs, ands or buts' about it!

Anonymous said...

Can you comment on the importance of obedience?

Mike Messerli said...

anonymous,

Thanks for the great question. Obedience is extremely important in that it is a demonstration of a heart surrendered to His Lordship, and out of the heart a life obedient follows (note John 15). Obedience is a demonstration of a surrendered life, but it is in second place to a surrendered heart. When we put obedience first we become legalists, but when we look to it as a result of a surrendered heart we are walking with Christ and obedience "just happens." And, by the way, how you look at this topic makes all the difference in the world!