Thursday, October 19, 2006

The purpose of doors


I can't help it...I have to talk about purpose. But not just any old every day purpose. I want to discuss the purpose of doors. This picture brought it to my mind, and got me thinking- what are doors supposed to do? If a door doesn't do what it was meant to do can we still call it a door? If it's not doing what it was designed to do is it fulfilling the purpose of the maker? You see where I'm going already, don't you?
Doors are designed to make it possible for us to enter/exit a building. It's the human portal. It locks out those who are not welcome, and grants entry to those who are. It protects the inhabitants, and is only able to be opened by another. The door has no ability, on it's own, to do what it was meant to do- open and close, but must accomplish it's purpose with the help of someone else.
I'm the same way. I have a purpose- to glorify God, and I can't do it without the help of God. He is the one who must empower me to do what I was designed to do, to be what I was meant to be, to function as designed.
I don't want to end up with a sign on my life- "this life does not glorify God."

5 comments:

Cheri said...

Mike,

Your blog blesses and encourages and teaches my heart.

Thank you,
Cheri

Robyn Rochelle E. said...

Good point!
I thought you were going to go in another direction. You remember that age-old picture of Jesus standing at the door and knocking. I thought you were headed for that. You remember, the door didn't have a door knob on it. This simply represented the truth that relationship with God is up to us...He is waiting - we must open and allow Him to eneter in. He is a gentleman. What intrigues me more these days: my vision of Jesus has changed from that cleaned-up robed angelic creature -He is so real to me now.

Mike Messerli said...

Robyn,

yeah, I know, the picture just made my mind go in a different direction- how can a door have a sign on it that says that? it caught my attention, and I thought about it....I guess there are life applications everywhere, huh?

thanks for your note, hope all is well there. we do miss you.

Anonymous said...

yup! i like ya!

Brandon and Jenny said...

You know, doors are a funny thing at this point in my life (and Jenny's). It seems that the Lord opens wide a door and from a distance it looks huge and so we run full speed toward it. Then as we approach we get all messed with and all the sudden (so it seems) it gets hard and the door looks small and we wonder, did God open this after all?

But doors in Guatemala are small. Why? Because the people are short! I'm only 5'10 and have to bend over to get through. See, God doesn't want us going to Guatemala as big Americans but as vessels, hunched over so we can fit in among little brown folks. We must be changed as we cross the threshold and by his grace we are.

Thanks Mike! You planted such a wonderful seed and God has used it to encourage me greatly. I love you man! Keep putting stuff on your blog, please. I need to hear what the Lord teaches you!