Monday, July 31, 2006

Facing the end

I spent the morning visiting some of our church family in hospital. It's always a time of prayer for me as I go into the hospital. Today was a difficult day. Both of the dear people I visited are facing the possible end of their time here on earth. Both are sweet Christians and my time with them was wonderful, but both have been told that "this may be it." Those visits are always hard. There are always tears, both theirs and mine. One dear one told me, "they tell me I'm terminal..." and I responded, "I'm terminal too." Their reply was funny for the situation, "Oh, I'm so sorry, what's wrong?" I simply said, "We are all terminal. The only difference between us is that you know more clearly when you might be leaving." And this dear one smiled at me, understanding.

I know that if the Lord doesn't come back before "my time" I too will face "my day." It's great to have hope. A hope based on the risen Christ. A hope that's sure. It makes what would have been bitter visits today almost a joy as we talk together about the hope ahead. The day when death will be swallowed up by LIFE.

1Co 15:20. But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep. 21. For since by a man came death, by a man also came the resurrection of the dead. 22. For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive. 23. But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, after that those who are Christ's at His coming,24. then comes the end, when He hands over the kingdom to the God and Father, when He has abolished all rule and all authority and power. 25. For He must reign until He has put all His enemies under His feet.
26. The last enemy that will be abolished is death.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but yikes! - I hate the thought of the PROCESS of death! I'm rooting for Jesus to come back before I have to go through that process.

Anonymous said...

It was Major Ian Thomas, was it not, that has no intention of dying? He once said that he has his calendar booked until the year 2020. He plans to hang on until Christ's return, only that had better happen pretty soon if he's to make it.

Anonymous said...

It was Major Thomas. He figures that as long as he's doing what God wants him to, God will keep him here.

Anonymous said...

Sad to lose the friendship of those who go on before us. After the sadness (and yet joy!) of losing L, to get the call today that MJ has joined her is another sad yet joyful event. Thanks for shepherding the flock, Mike.