Saturday, May 05, 2012

Grumpy old man


This morning I was surprised to find my dad taking on the role of the grumpy old man.  He was (understandably) unhappy with the nursing home.  It's a hard place to be.  Life is much like prison...go here....sit here....eat now....sit here...go to bed now.  It's a very structured setting, it has to be as just a few staff try to care for a hundred residents.  


But this morning, as dad complained about his morning,  I tried to do what I do best, encourage.  Quickly I'm interrupted and told he didn't want to hear it!  He was grumpy and wanted no encouragement from me!


Ok.  I get it.  I know it was time to be quiet and so I fall silent and honestly get a little irritated with my dear old dad as he took on the identity of grumpy old man.  I know it's hard for him.  For a man who has always made his own decisions it's hard to be told what to do and not able to do anything about it.  I know it's hard.  


As I write about this I pray I finish as one who is happy with the opportunity to be here each day looking for the good works the Lord has prepared for me.  It's easy to lose focus,  I pray this morning's example is one I never forget.

No comments: