Sunday, October 31, 2010

Seasons, part 2- Waiting


One of my friends I have never met commented on the first "Seasons" post with these words. The thoughts are so honest, the questions so universal that I wanted to share them with you and discuss these issues with you here. Here are my friend's words,

yun said...

Normally, i will definitely read your blog when i am in a down moment. And, strangely, i manage to find something to read that suit my situation.
I have been praying for something for years. Throughout these 2 years, there were times when the situation just wasn't working at all, i could sense that the Lord was asking me to let go on the thing i have been praying for and focus on other areas in my life that are more important at that season in my life. I did obey and i did focus on another area and grew in it. After 2 years of waiting upon His will, not desiring a lot in the particular thing i am praying for, things seem to fall in place and everything seems to go well suddenly. I start to see hope in it and am happy with that. I believe God is in control of my life. I acknowledge his power in making arrangements in my life. I never fail to pray and submit everything in His hands. But i come to a point now where i cant understand what is happening and what is ahead in my life right now. I am very disappointed because i know God knows the longing in my heart but why cant i see the progress anymore at this point of time. Does God know i am waiting for something and does He know i have been trying hard to submit and obey?


"Does God know....?" What an important question! Does he know about me? But as important, and sometimes unspoken, are these questions, Does he care and is he able? Both questions go to the heart of our thoughts and struggles. When the heavens are silent we begin to wonder, does he care about me? Is he able to help me? Does he know what I'm going through?

We are often afraid to ask these questions, but it's so important that we do! They are the kind of questions that Joseph asked in prison after his brothers had sold him as a slave. They are the questions that Job and his friends asked as they discussed Job's loss and sorrow. They are the questions you should ask when going through a difficult time.

Joseph waited for several years to see God's plans. He waited without a word from God. He waited not knowing what God was doing. He waited. Often we will wait as well. The times when God is silent and we are waiting are the times when we wonder....Does he know? Does he care? I think Joseph wondered this as well. I know that Job wondered because he asked these same questions.

So, what is God's answer?

Here are his words from Isaiah 40,

27-31Why would you ever complain, O Jacob,
or, whine, Israel, saying,
"God has lost track of me.
He doesn't care what happens to me"?
Don't you know anything? Haven't you been listening?
God doesn't come and go. God lasts.
He's Creator of all you can see or imagine.
He doesn't get tired out, doesn't pause to catch his breath.
And he knows everything, inside and out.
He energizes those who get tired,
gives fresh strength to dropouts.
For even young people tire and drop out,
young folk in their prime stumble and fall.
But those who wait upon God get fresh strength.
They spread their wings and soar like eagles,
They run and don't get tired,
they walk and don't lag behind.

Does he care? YES! He cares for you and I more than we could possibly know. He hears when we cry. He cares when we question. He cares when we get discouraged.

If we have trusted him as savior we are his dear children and he is working on an amazing plan in our lives. There are times to wait, but from that waiting his wonderful plan is revealed and we are stronger in our faith because we have waited for him. Is waiting a sign he doesn't care? Not at all. It's part of his plans for us. Wait to see what he will do, you will never be disappointed in the God who loves you...the God who made heaven and earth. The God who knows and cares about you.

Here are David's words, a man who waited for God and complained about it often! Here is what he said to us,

Psalm 27

Of David.
1 The LORD is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?

2 When evil men advance against me
to devour my flesh,
when my enemies and my foes attack me,
they will stumble and fall.

3 Though an army besiege me,
my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me,
even then will I be confident.

4 One thing I ask of the LORD,
this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD
and to seek him in his temple.

5 For in the day of trouble
he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle
and set me high upon a rock.

6 Then my head will be exalted
above the enemies who surround me;
at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy;
I will sing and make music to the LORD.

7 Hear my voice when I call, O LORD;
be merciful to me and answer me.

8 My heart says of you, "Seek his face!"
Your face, LORD, I will seek.

9 Do not hide your face from me,
do not turn your servant away in anger;
you have been my helper.
Do not reject me or forsake me,
O God my Savior.

10 Though my father and mother forsake me,
the LORD will receive me.

11 Teach me your way, O LORD;
lead me in a straight path
because of my oppressors.

12 Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes,
for false witnesses rise up against me,
breathing out violence.

13 I am still confident of this:
I will see the goodness of the LORD
in the land of the living.

14 Wait for the LORD;
be strong and take heart
and wait for the LORD.

Does God know? Does he care? Yes! Wait for him. Wait to see what he will do. He loves you. He knows. He cares. Trust him. Wait for the Lord.

You will never be disappointed!

3 comments:

yun said...

Thanks for your kind reply. I was so touch with what you had written to me that actually caused me to cry uncontrollably this evening. I was touched by your sincerity in ministering to my disappointment even though i am just a stranger to you. Eventhough i didn't describe much but somehow you understand how i feel and what i am going through.I believe it is a divine appointment that God leads me to your blog. I am deeply encouraged and felt the love from God once again through you. Thanks.
Just for your information, I am still a university student studying in Singapore now. =D I felt much better now after reading the reminder from you.

Mike Messerli said...

Yun,

thank you for your words. I, too, am encouraged by your words and by God's work in our lives. God is so good, isn't he? He cares for us even when we wait. I will be praying for you.

yun said...

Thanks pastor Mike... =)