Thursday, August 12, 2010

Quote of the day


"In whatever kind of a “race” life may be, I have very abruptly become a finalist." -Christopher Hitchens, atheist (in an article talking about his battle with cancer from Vanity Fair)


"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith" -Paul the apostle (2 Timothy 4:7)


In our culture we commonly use the language of "the race" to describe our lives. It's a good analogy. There is a start, there is a course and there is a finish line when the winners and losers are decided. Each life is part of this race (is that why we call it the human race?) and at the end the prizes are given. The discussion for us is this- does this life we live ultimately have purpose, reason and rewards? The bible says "YES!" The rest of mankind responds, "I hope so." Personally, I'm much more comfortable knowing what the race entails, where the course goes and what the prizes will be when this race is over. It gives me a purpose that Mr. Hitchens is sadly missing. So, as a Christian on the course running for the finish...trying to finish well...I offer these words for those of you running this race with me-


(1Co 9:24) Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win.


(Heb 12:1) Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,

No comments: