Sunday, May 30, 2010

What God sees


God doesn't see things the way we do. Here's just one example:
...
Mark 12:41 Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42 But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a fraction of a penny. 43 Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44 They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on."
...
Throughout the Bible we get glimpses of how God sees things. He doesn't see things the way we do. This short story gives us a glimpse of what God sees- his eyes are on the heart, not the size of the gift. In the world's eyes many others gave much more than this little widow, but what God saw was her heart, not the amount of her gift. Jesus' words should shock us all as he described how God saw her gift when he said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others." God didn't see the amount of the gift, but what was left for this poor widow after her gift. She gave all she had. All she had was two cents. These two cents impressed God more than the one who gave $10,000,000! You see, God doesn't need our money, he's after our hearts. This gift of two cents and Jesus' commentary on her great gift should reset our values in how we look at what we give to God.
...
Now, I always want to know more. I wonder....what happened to this widow? Do you think that God took care of her? Do you think God provided more for her because of her gift? I wonder....what's the rest of the story? One thing I know is this- God loved this dear woman because of her heart. He's always more impressed with our hearts than he is with how much we give. It helps me to know that God sees things differently than I do. He's looking at hearts.
...

1 comment:

Michell said...

I really like this Mike. I wonder also about if he gave more because of her heart. I try an cut out any roots in my heart when he makes me aware of them. Like pulling weeds out of the garden so he can put other things in there. I sometimes feel he has carved out so many things as the new self in Christ emerges, and in doing so, he has made my heart so many things I could have never made on my own. Now I have to keep the soil moist and fertile so he can water it and generosity, or love, forgiveness, any and everything in his word can grow.
~
He is always there, his promises are true, he is incredible. It blows my mind sometimes when multiple pieces of the puzzle come together so his glory can be seen. All about the heart, trusting in him never disappoints, and I give him whatever he wants. It's the only way, and the best outcomes occur, as HE is faithful in his promises.
~I wonder if the woman was so eager to give as she did because nothing else seems to matter when you put trust in the one and only, faithful and true God.
~
He has made me glad. Helping others to take those steps and build faith after the first up to the thousand mark and until eternity, faith builds, the heart grows, and giving to him is pure joy. I bet the woman's life was rich, her heart was rich, she knew Him.