Monday, July 07, 2008

Well done, boys, well done!


I had heard about this story yesterday, but just read the article this morning. Makes me think of Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego. I won't print the entire article, you can go to the link and read it yourself, but let me say to these two young men,
...........
"Well done, boys, well done!
..............................
Here's part of the article:
..............
............
Schoolboys disciplined for 'refusing to pray to Allah'
..............
By Nick Britten
Last Updated: 12:37AM BST 05/07/2008, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/
..............
"Two schoolboys were allegedly disciplined after refusing to kneel down and "pray to Allah" during a religious education lesson.
It was claimed that the boys, from a year seven class of 11 and 12-year-olds, were given detention after refusing to take part in a practical demonstration of how Allah is worshipped.
Yesterday parents accused the school of breaching their human rights by forcing them to take part in the exercise.
One, Sharon Luinen, said: "This isn't right, it's taking things too far. I understand that they have to learn about other religions. I can live with that but it is taking it a step too far to be punished because they wouldn't join in Muslim prayer.
"Making them pray to Allah, who isn't who they worship, is wrong and what got me is that they were told they were being disrespectful."
"The teacher had gone into the class and made them watch a short film and then said 'we are now going out to pray to Allah'.
"Then two boys got detention and all the other children missed their refreshments' break."
The alleged incident, at the Alsager school, one of Cheshire's top performing schools, happened on Tuesday afternoon. The teacher, Alison Phillips, the school's subject leader in RE, is understood to be staying away from the school until the furore dies down, although she has not been suspended.
She is said to have gotten prayer mats out of the cupboard and also asked children to wear Islamic headdresses........ "
/////////////////
You can read the rest of the article if you wish, but this will give you a flavor for the situation. This is not new. It's been done many times in history. This doesn't surprise me at all. It will happen again, and with more zeal and authority. There may soon be a day when the experiences of Daniel's friends will be ours as well. I wonder how many, like Daniel's friends and these two young men, will say, "I will not bow down." Although a small incident by itself, I wanted to applaud these young men for their stand. It's difficult to stand for what you believe in a time when faith is under attack from every side, so to these young men I say, "Well done boys!"

2 comments:

Kris Sorensen said...

I will add my voice and applause to the "ata' boys" as well.

Schweers' Mom said...

Believe it or not, the same thing happened to Reagan in 6th grade (almost 5 years ago). His geography teacher was covering a section on world religions (which Christianity was conveniently left out of) and asked the kids to all face Mecca and pray to Allah. I don't think she intended for them to actually "pray", but was trying to teach them in a kinesthetic manner so that they could "remember" the lesson from doing. Uh huh. My son refused to participate in the learning exercise and he was called out in class for choosing not to do so.

I didn't freak out, but I did have a friendly chat with the teacher (who was a new teacher that year and is no longer at this school). She apologized and I think realized that her methodology was less than sound.