Saturday, September 23, 2006

2 AM in Dallas


Psa 34:1 I will bless the LORD at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth.
Psa 34:2 My soul will make its boast in the LORD; The humble will hear it and rejoice.
Psa 34:3 O magnify the LORD with me, And let us exalt His name together.
Psa 34:4 I sought the LORD, and He answered me, And delivered me from all my fears.
Psa 34:5 They looked to Him and were radiant, And their faces will never be ashamed.
Psa 34:6 This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him And saved him out of all his troubles.
Psa 34:7 The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear Him, And rescues them.
Psa 34:8 O taste and see that the LORD is good; How blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!
Psa 34:9 O fear the LORD, you His saints; For to those who fear Him there is no want.
Psa 34:10 The young lions do lack and suffer hunger; But they who seek the LORD shall not be in want of any good thing.
Psa 34:11 Come, you children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the LORD.
Psa 34:12 Who is the man who desires life And loves length of days that he may see good?
Psa 34:13 Keep your tongue from evil And your lips from speaking deceit.
Psa 34:14 Depart from evil and do good; Seek peace and pursue it.
Psa 34:15 The eyes of the LORD are toward the righteous And His ears are open to their cry.
Psa 34:16 The face of the LORD is against evildoers, To cut off the memory of them from the earth.
Psa 34:17 The righteous cry, and the LORD hears And delivers them out of all their troubles.
Psa 34:18 The LORD is near to the brokenhearted And saves those who are crushed in spirit.
Psa 34:19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous, But the LORD delivers him out of them all.
Psa 34:20 He keeps all his bones, Not one of them is broken.
Psa 34:21 Evil shall slay the wicked, And those who hate the righteous will be condemned.
Psa 34:22 The LORD redeems the soul of His servants, And none of those who take refuge in Him will be condemned.
It's 2 am here in Dallas, I have slept for about two hours, and am now up. Sleep eludes me tonight for a number of reasons. Times like these make me head for the Psalms. I need the comfort of these words. The compass correction they offer. It's easy to lose your way in the mess of life, but the word of God will always get you back on the path and going in the right direction. Especially a psalm like this one. The focus on God is the key. When you lose your way, look up and look to the Lord. He is the never changing one who is watching over his people. He is the lover of my soul who helps in time of need. He is my praise and my God. He is my hope and my salvation. At 2 am in the morning he is awake and listening as I call.
Lord, I praise you and thank you for your wonderful love and care for us. You are most awesome. You are most wonderful. You are so glorious. Thank you for your care, your love, your hope. Thank you for being sovereign. Thank you for loving me at 2 am in Dallas.

6 comments:

Brandon and Jenny said...

Amen, brother.

I was up at 3 am but only because my son was up from then until 4. So, from 3-4 we were up, listening to our 9 month old scream because he wanted to play with us insted of sleep. And God was there with us, helping us not get mad by reminding us what a Good Father He is.

Hope you got some more sleep.

From Carlys Eyes said...

I feel ya on the two in the morning bit!

Robyn Rochelle E. said...

I too run to the Lord through His Psalms when the times are hard and the sadness too extreme...
I come with frustration/anger/tiredness/dissappointment and He meets me there. His words echo in my soul and I enter into thanksgiving for His everlasting lovingkindess.
His mercies are new every morning. I praise Him for that.

Anonymous said...

Mike,
your post takes on a whole new meaning in the light of this Sunday. Know we are praying for you and everyone else.
Ray

Anonymous said...

praying for you and the rest of the staff and the church family. glad to be part of such a family at a time like this.

Anonymous said...

Mike,
Thanks for your encouraging words. God's word is a balm, isn't it? Soothing for our sinsick souls. I too am grateful for the God we have and for the church we've been blessed with and the leadership He has provided, and know in the midst of all of this that God is still God, and He will work all this together for HIS good. Blessings, to you and ALL our leadership at CBC.