Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Celebrating God's goodness



This week is Valentine's day.  The bane of every man and joy of every woman.  We men have no idea what to do, but we try...we try to get the right card, flowers, dinner out, and hope we can express how we feel about our loved one in a way that makes them feel loved.

It's also another special day for my wife and I.  We got married the day after Valentine's day.  It seemed like a good idea at the time, but has proved difficult for me to make both days special over the years.  This Friday we celebrate 39 years of marriage.  It's strange to write that.  I'm not old enough to be married that long and I never imagined I would be.  Couples married this long are always old, but we aren't...so it feels a bit odd.  

As I write about this special person and these many years together it also speaks of a third person who has been part of our lives through it all....God.  It's because of his goodness and love that I met my wife.  It's his goodness to us that has helped us through the many difficult times of life.  It's having that third person in our marriage and his goodness to us that has made it easy for us to get to 39 years together.

Taste and see how good God is has been a wonderful truth for us in our lives together.  We are both grateful for the goodness of God and the wonderful years we have had together.  I think, at least for me, that I never imagined marriage could be so good, but when God is part of it it makes all the difference.

No comments: