Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The blessings of God

As I read Numbers 6 this morning I came to the end of the chapter and this rich blessing given by God for the priests to extend to the people,

22 The LORD said to Moses, 23 “Tell Aaron and his sons, ‘This is how you are to bless the Israelites. Say to them:

24 “‘“The LORD bless you and keep you;
25 the LORD make his face shine on you
and be gracious to you;
26 the LORD turn his face toward you
and give you peace.”’

It struck me that these are the same words used by the New Testament writers as they begin their books, "Grace and peace to you...." These are not just words of greeting, but are words of blessing.

Grace encompasses the rich blessings and favor of God in relationship with us. Peace describes the results of grace in relationship with God and with others. These two words describe all we need to live well. As I read the blessing of the priest in Numbers 6 it struck me that this is the ongoing blessing of the Christian, this grace and peace.

It also became clear that if you're not experiencing grace you won't have peace either. Peace rests on the foundation of grace. Without an experience of grace peace is not available. As I write this it clears a fog for me about the world around me....if those we know have not trusted and experienced the grace of God they don't know peace either. It's only in God's grace that true peace is revealed.....peace with God and peace with others. And, it's only as I give grace to others that they experience peace in relationship.

Grace and peace....foundations of faith and a rich relationship with God. That's what I'm dwelling on this morning. I know there is much more to this than I have written here, but it's just now starting to bounce around in my head. I'll share with you what comes from all of that as I work through it, but for today,

Grace and peace be to you in the name of Jesus Christ!

No comments: