Monday, November 09, 2009

We are not orphans!


In my study of Matthew 6 in preparation for the message yesterday I came to a passage I have read hundreds of times before and always missed what Jesus was saying. Then it hit me....suddenly I began to weep as I saw it. Here's the passage and then let's talk,
...
So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
...
The portion of this passage that had eluded me were these words, "For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them." Then, this week for the first time, I saw it. The pagans don't have a heavenly Father! They are orphans! Orphans have to be worried about food, clothing and a place to stay because they have no one to watch out for them. They are responsible, but the Christian has a Father. We have someone who is taking care of us. We have someone who loves us and like a child in a home with a dad we don't even think about the house payment, the electric bill, will we have food...those are the things that Father takes care of. As his child I run into his house and take whatever I want from the fridge without a worry. Father takes cares of all those things so I can focus my attention on seeking HIM and his rule in my life. He has the rest taken care of. He cares for me. I have a father, I'm not an orphan. When I saw this the whole passage came alive for me. I wept over this amazing truth. Even as I tried to share it with my wife the next day I couldn't get through it without tears.....we are not orphans on our own, caring for ourselves, worried about how we will get food, clothing and somewhere to stay. We have a father. He loves us and is fully able and willing to care for us.
...
So, today you can resign as general manager of the universe, you don't need to worry about all the things that take up your thoughts. You are not an orphan, you have a father and he loves to care for his children who will trust him.

2 comments:

Schweers' Mom said...

Still a very hard concept and a very sad one for someone who did not have a very loving earthly father. Wonder if I'll ever be able to wrap my brain around this concept of God as a GOOD father?

Mike Messerli said...

Great comment. I can understand how had that would be for you.