Thursday, May 06, 2010

Going our own way


How have we come to a place where we think we can find God's best by completely ignoring what he says? How do we rationalize disobedience and still want God's blessings? But we do! I see it every day. Sad and broken people in my office, one hurting beyond anything I can imagine while the other one says, "I just want to be happy." How can we believe that going our own way, against God's instructions, will ever bring happiness? Let me state clearly, just in case you are in this position, you will never find happiness disobeying God! There, I've said it. And yet, do you know what I will hear today, as I hear it every day, "I know God wants me happy. And besides, he'll forgive me, won't he?" How did we ever come to this strange place where we condone our sinful choices with our claim of God's approval? How can we imagine that forgiveness is permission?
...
What is even more amazing to me is when we begin to experience the results of our sins the verbal protest is, "how could God let this happen to me?" May I reply? "Excuse me....what did you expect?"
...
Personally, I'm grieved by what I see and I'm tired of the lies that Christian people believe. We are giving ourselves permission to sin because God will forgive?....because we want to be happy?....because we know best? I'm in the middle of the book of Ezekiel right now and the clear message is that there are consequences for sin and they aren't pretty. Sin always has consequences. There is always a price. There will always be fruit from our actions.
...
The first Psalm deals with these very choices. They are choices of relationship and response. Who do you hang out with? Who do you listen to? And what will you do? Most people seem clueless to the fact that our relationships mold our responses. We think like those we hang out with. We act like those we associate with. That's why the very first Psalm is so important. It gives guidance for both relationship and response. Read it carefully. Look at the results of choices made. Realize that these basic truths have never changed. They are the same today as they were in the day they were written because we haven't changed. We still need to choose our relationships because they influence our responses. And our responses, our choices, always bear fruit.
...
Psalm 1:1 Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. 2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. 3 He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers. 4 Not so the wicked! They are like chaff that the wind blows away. 5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous. 6 For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.
...

1 comment:

Michell said...

Mike, it's me again. Hope I am not wearing out my welcome here on your blog. I needed to hear/read this today(tonight, this morning, ok its just past 12 am something so hang in there with all this). I am in agreement with every word it's so good to hear a pastor say these words, & to know that someone else (me) says, hello!!! what are you (others) thinking to say xyz or think xyz when you know it does not line up with the word? And to hear exceptionally self-deceiving responses, excuses, everything but turn a finger back to themselves and take responsibility for the way they DO act/what they say/what they believe about themselves. Especially from those who definitely know better, you would think. But yet they say everything to avoid self-examination and seem to enjoy living in non-biblical sludge I must say. And the one trying to help (me) is likely made to seem like the one who has it wrong. Again to avoid... oh, yes it does take daily energy and dependence on god to depend on god (lol) like your other blog said Dave said.

And yet I am reminded to forgive hundreds of thousands of infinite measures, as I have been forgiven and HE paid such a price for that, to give grace as I have been given grace as a huge gift no one can ever take away, to offer love, the only thing that matters. It sort of deflates me & brings me back to the goal of being so in His presence, so close to the fullness of what Christ has done, so in love with the word and Christ and how God does so much for me in Christ, peace. Sighs., and then it starts all over (lol)!!! I try again (in his might of course, no striving here : )ha... to live in the fruit of the Spirit, bringing back gentleness, kindness, faith they will see differently for more than just a minute, self-control to keep on the path laid before me, listening to God first (Hence all the confirmation from you with a trustworthy response to something I can so relate to). Thank you for sharing, and I'm sure if I really said all I feel (and you are probably saying, no that is quite alright)just kidding. Thank you for beginning the journey to Finish Well.

I am blessed by your insight into the word, grateful I was able to vent a little about a current experience OR TWO... but I am reminded AGAIN as I type(d), I am human and fall short of the glory of god also. So that means in this case, I will pick up myself and keep on daily looking for that cloud you talked about in the other blog. Take care. And I don't think I will read this over to check anything, so forgive anything that seems weird or wrong... you can even point it out, I will gladly accept wisdom, correction, direction, support, truth : ) Thank goodness for our relationships with the Lord, believing His truth, looking to gain deep insight into so much to learn in His word, to help grow in Him and help others hopefully avoid the pitfall of believing the lies of the enemy, and stay in His will.

May God you tremendously and give you even deeper insight and wisdom to all he has for you to share with others. May he revive areas if needed, and use you to help so many who will listen and gain something from your willingness to keep on and finish well. I know I have gained a lot from you. Thanks agian for sharing. Does anyone else relate?