Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Considering...


Jas 1:2 Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides.
Jas 1:3 You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors.
Jas 1:4 So don't try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.
Jas 1:5 If you don't know what you're doing, pray to the Father. He loves to help. You'll get his help, and won't be condescended to when you ask for it.
Jas 1:6 Ask boldly, believingly, without a second thought.
It's early Wednesday, and I'm up...praying....thinking...praying....and my mind comes to these verses. Consider it a sheer gift...or, as another version says, consider it pure joy...so I have been considering. I'm considering that most of us in this culture don't really know how to go through difficult times. We seem to really struggle with any difficulties, any problems or adversities. We don't like difficult times, and yet the bible promises that they will come. God uses these times to refine us, and yet we so hate to be refined. I'm considering that I can't help anyone else through their refining time, other than pray for them, love them and encourage them to trust God.
But what I often see is an anger at God for the refining fires instead of a joy at God's work. We don't like to be refined. We don't want to grow up. So, many continue to be children in their faith....avoiding the refining fires. I watch as the tests and challenges come, and believers scatter to get away from the tests, they run and hide to avoid being affected by anything difficult.
I'm considering that these tests and trials are allowed by a loving God who has a goal in mind. He wants me to be like Christ, he wants me to trust him, he wants me to grow up, he wants me to show the world what God dependence looks like. He will take us out into the wilderness to test us and make us trust him. He will bring us to places where we must depend on him. He does it for our good...because he loves us!
I'm considering....and I'm praying...and I'm watching as I am refined. I'm watching as others are refined. I want to encourage you with James' words from this passage- "don't try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way."
God is the master refiner. He is in the refining business. He is refining hearts. Don't run away from his refining fires, let them do their work in your life. You will never be the same, and that's a good thing!
Consider it pure joy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow... Amen.

Dave